US woman, 81, keeps lottery ticket in Bible, wins record jackpot
An 81-year-old Rhode Island woman, who slept with her winning lottery ticket in a Bible, came forward on Tuesday to claim a $336.4 million (214 million pounds) PowerBall prize, one of the largest ever jackpots in the United States, lottery officials said.
She took the prize in one lump sum payment of $210 million, the highest cash jackpot ever, lottery officials said.
"I'm very happy and I'm very proud and this will make my family very happy. We are truly blessed," White, a Newport resident, said during a brief appearance at a news conference.
White slept with the winning ticket in her Bible the night after the drawing and later kept it in a safe deposit box.
PowerBall is played in 42 U.S. states, Washington, D.C. and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The largest PowerBall jackpot was in 2006 for $365 million, according to lottery officials.
The odds of winning the PowerBall jackpot are roughly 1 in 175 million.
- [05/10/11] Tout est fait pour authentifier le ticket gagnant du 100e tirage
- [17/04/13] Other wife found on Facebook: 'Friends' on Facebook reveal bigamous relationship
- [27/06/12] Dad Charged With Assault For Tossing McDonald’s Fries At Stepdaughter
- [25/08/11] Insolite : il gagne deux fois au Loto
- [15/06/11] Insolite : anticapitaliste, il devient millionnaire
(Currently 31,450 subscribers)
You've just unlocked our easter egg. That earns you the right (and privilege) to meet the designer of this website.